Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Best of 2011 (10-9)

I love making and reading lists. Around this time, at the end of each year, people and organizations organize their lists of what they thought was best or worst of the year. It could be movies, music, books, events, tweets, people, the list of lists goes on and on. The best part about these lists is that everyone will have a different opinion and that makes for some great conversation. Getting to know what tickles a person's fancy (just wanted to use that phrase) gives you insight on what fuels that person.

Films fuel me. For as long as I can remember, I've consumed motion pictures like an ice cold drink on a warm, sunny day. I just can't get enough of this genre of storytelling. Over the years, I've developed a taste for films with a compelling story, innovative storytelling devices and films with a focused attention to detail. One rule of mine in determining if a film matters to me or not is for the film to make me care. It's not a unique sentiment but it is the basis for cherishing a movie or not.

With that said, I'll be featuring my top ten films of 2011. It's always tough to determine an order but here's what I came up with starting with 10 & 9.

10. Rango

Loved this story about a chameleon trying to find acceptance and a community to call his own. The animation is top notch and Johnny Depp plays Rango with the right mixture of awkwardness and wit. Great voice performances all the way around and the textures give the setting the right amount of grit to make it feel like a true western. Los Lobos offer flavorful songs to a stellar soundtrack. The oddball nature of this film really endeared itself to me and pulling for Rango to find a home even when his house of cards comes crashing down was a joy to experience. One of the surprise hits for me of 2011.




9. Attack the Block

The title instantly caught my eye and when I heard the plot featured inner city kids fighting against aliens from outer space, the geek in me was all aboard. The creators of Attack describe it as "Inner City Vs. Outer Space". What I found interesting about this film was how a fractured community of people were brought together by literally fighting for their lives. The look of this film has style for days with monster effects that compliment the overall tone. The dialog features vernacular uncommon to an American audience which made me pay closer attention than usual. The boys are all great especially when the action calls for them to "man up". Basement Jaxx created a thumping soundtrack which only adds to the coolness of the film. Definitely one of the most enjoyable films of 2011.







2 comments:

  1. never heard of "attack the block" but it sounds like something i'd like. looking forward to the rest of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i heard of it through the nerd shows and sites like attack of the show and ign.com. it's a fun movie. thanks for reading! (first official comment on here too!)

    ReplyDelete