Monday, December 31, 2012

Ten Fave Films of 2012 (6-4)

I had intentions of writing over the weekend but never got around to it. So, here's a an extended entry that includes numbers 4, 5 and 6 of my fave films of 2012! Without further ado...

6. Looper

My favorite Sci-Fi movie of 2012, Looper delivers a thought provoking journey of a hitman named Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). By contract, he is supposed to kill his future self, Old Joe (Bruce Willis) also known as his "loop" when Old Joe is sent back in time by a man known as the "Rainmaker". Old Joe must be killed by his former self, effectively closing Joe's loop, only Old Joe has something to live for and a few tricks up his sleeve. Set in the year 2044, Director Rian Johnson creates a future where new technology isn't the most reliable, such as a hover bike, and Joe's classic red convertible is a 2000's Mazda Miata. Not quite post-apocalyptic but it's clear that the future isn't a bright utopia. There are some philosophical tidbits to chew on such as, are our futures contained to one linear timeline or are there multiple paths, parallel futures in parallel timelines, that we can take? Are we destined to one outcome no matter what we choose? I loved the payoff to this film, and without totally spoiling it, it left me with a sense of hope.

5. Wreck-It Ralph


It might be my love for video games and the cameos of video game characters in Wreck-It Ralph, or my love of Disney story telling and the creation of a world inside Liwak's Arcade, or all of the above that just resonated with me from beginning to end. From the first time I saw the trailer with Bowser spitting fireballs with the original sound effect, I was hooked. Aside from the 8-bit goodness, the story of Ralph (John C. Reilly) overcoming his label of "the bad guy" and helping a fellow outcast, Vanellope von Schweetz (Sarah Silverman) realize her dream is really a story of second chances, something I'm a huge proponent of. I hope anyone who feels a label has been stuck on them and that label will never go away could maybe find some small inspiration in Ralph. Even though it's a Disney movie made for kids, I think the message is an important one for all people. It's never too late to become the person you want to be.

4. Argo

Argo is a dramatization of the exfiltration of six U.S. embassy workers in Iran who have hidden from Iranian forces that overran the embassy. Ben Affleck tells the story of heroism, innovation and courage in a suspense filled period piece set in 1979. The story sets real world covert ops and the magic world of Hollywood on the same stage and Affleck masterfully orchestrates it. Ex-fil expert CIA agent, Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) concocts the brazen plan of staging the production of a major Hollywood sci-fi movie as a cover for the six Americans, who are being hunted by the Iranian military, and himself, who must play the part of the movie crew to get out of Iran. While the real mission is set in the most treacherous of circumstances, the cover is hilarious, old school movie magic. I wish I could repeat Lester Siegel's (Alan Arkin) head-shaking tagline for the mission because it's such a golden line for the movie. (Argo ____ yourself.) As an American, that's exactly what I wanted to say to the acts of terrorism.


Out of time again! I'll attempt to post the top 3 tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment